6 Mind-Blowing Benefits of Meditating Every Morning
Meditation is key to clearing our busy monkey minds of the flooded thoughts we drown our brains with.
People are gradually becoming increasingly aware that meditation is necessary in order to help us to achieve success; whether that is happiness, or a promotion/ project you are working towards.
Some of you may already be aware of that meditation is good for our general well-being and happiness, but there are many more benefits of practicing meditation every morning.
When we practice meditation, our brainwaves are put into an alpha state, which promotes the process of healing and peace of mind. Regular practice will help you experience the improved positive emotional benefits of meditation through an increase of serotonin production in the body. Allow Vibrant Yogini to set up a tranquil space and lead you through a calm and guided meditative practice.
Meditation originates as far back as 5000 years ago by hunter-gatherers. The Buddha then progressed the teachings of meditation in 500BC and it stayed mainly in Asia for thousands of years. Nowadays, meditation is popular worldwide with more and more people understanding and supporting its countless benefits, which I will discuss in this article.
- To read more articles on mindfulness meditation click here.
How to Meditate
There are different types of meditation techniques you can practice. Before discussing the benefits, I will go through one method with you that you can easily practice as soon as you have woken up (and perhaps had a quick glass of lemon water and freshened up in the bathroom).
- Find somewhere comfortable, such as your bed, to sit down. I recommend sitting in ‘easy pose’ which is cross-legged with a straight back
- If you feel your lower back rounding or have trouble sitting up tall, sit on a pillow or a yoga block. This will allow for better posture. You can even rest a couple of cushions under your knees if they do not touch the floor/ bed just yet.
- Alternatively, you may prefer to sit on a chair if you find it easier. However, if you do choose a chair, make sure you sit up tall with your head tilted ever so slightly forward so as to be able to fully focus on the practice.
- Now you are comfortable, close your eyes (although meditation can be performed with the eyes open OR closed. As a beginner, it is often best to try meditating with closed eyes in order to avoid visual distractions).
- Make no effort to control the breath; simply breathe naturally. Don’t think about your breathing or pass any sort of judgment of it (for example, questioning how deep your breaths are) simply attempt to know your breath and be aware of it.
- Focus your attention on the breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation. Notice the movement of your body as you breathe. Observe your chest, shoulders, rib cage, and belly.
- Don’t worry if your mind starts to wander, especially if you are a beginner. Meditation takes practice. Just make an effort to be aware of your wandering thoughts, accept them and then refocus your mind on your breath without controlling its pace or intensity.
- Maintain this meditation practice at the same time everyday for four to five minutes to start with, and then try it for longer periods as you become more experienced.
Don’t forget to save this pin to your Pinterest board:
The 6 Benefits of Morning Meditation;
Now you know how to practice a simple meditation technique, let’s look at the benefits you will experience when you follow the meditation practice every day!
Morning Meditation Benefit 1: You Can Stop Relying On Caffeine
Meditation will provide you with an energy-boost without having to rely on a cup (or five.. 😉 !) of strong coffee. It is a common misconception that you always need a caffeine kick in order to help you spring to life in the morning. Instead, simply practicing a calm and quiet meditative practice, even with your eyes closed, IS ACTUALLY a much healthier and sure fire way to shake off all those sleepy cobwebs, helping to launch you into the day ahead with enthusiasm.
But how?! You must be wondering… well allow me to explain…
Firstly, it is important that we understand that the brain communicates with the rest of our body via the autonomic nervous system, which is responsible for the proper functioning of our involuntary responses that are not under our conscious control but controlled by the subconscious mind, such as breathing, sweating, the functioning of our organs, etc. The autonomic system has two components, the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system triggers the fight-or-flight response, where-as the parasympathetic nervous system calms the body down.
Meditation activates the parasympathetic nervous system. Now that we know what the parasympathetic nervous system of the body is responsible for, we can better understand that when meditation activates it, it is healthfully slowing it down. This means our heart rate is lowered, as well as our breathing rate, blood pressure, sweating, etc.
This causes us to experience a deep state of relaxation during meditation practice and puts less pressure on the functioning of our internal organs.
Morning Meditation Benefit 2: You Begin To Eat More Healthily
It has been proven in numerous studies that when we are stressed or sleep-deprived, we crave unhealthy processed foods full of sugar and saturated fat. However, just like when we begin exercising, when we build up momentum with our consistent morning meditation practice, we begin to crave healthier, cleaner food choices.
The key to this, is the fact that meditation reduces stress. The science behind this, is that the practice of meditation soothes the sympathetic nervous system of the body which alone can dramatically reduce the many negative effects brought about by feelings of anxiety, tension, fatigue and depression.
So if you are in need of a health-kick and require a technique to stop reaching for the sugary donuts, then start finding the time to meditate every morning!
Morning Meditation Benefit 3: Achieve More Tasks
Scientific research has found that regular meditation practice increases our ability to multi-task. In one study, participants who regularly meditated were able to notice interruptions, without losing focus on the task at hand, making their work style highly productive. What’s more, when we become more efficient at multi-tasking, we become less accident-prone, saving the unnecessary time wasted of redeeming ourselves.
Morning Meditation Benefit 4: Grow Social Bonds
We have already discussed how meditation can reduce negative emotions, such as stress. Often people who criticise and judge others have low self-esteem and are full of negative emotions. However, if only they practiced meditation, then this would allow for them to have more room for positive thoughts and emotions, such as compassion, enthusiasm and excitement. Have you ever noticed how people who have these traits seem to be a magnet for others who enjoy being in their company?
So if you are looking to grow your friendship circles, try meditating daily and growing into the type of person that people want to magnetise towards!
Morning Meditation Benefit 5: Diminish Headaches
Meditation has been shown to lower the pains that are related to tension headaches. Quite often, muscle tension and subconscious clenching of the jaw causes headaches. Many of these tension headaches are primarily caused by stress. Learning how to consciously relax the mind and body can help you release the physical effects of stress and can lessen the intensity of your headache.
The next time you feel a headache coming on, take some time out to practice meditation to help lower the tension.
Morning Meditation Benefit 6: Filters out negative or unnecessary thoughts
As mentioned earlier, the sympathetic nervous system triggers the fight-or-flight response in our bodies, and this is responsible for triggering the stress hormone, cortisol, to be released into the body. Cortisol can be compared to a metaphoric ‘ball-and-chain’ which drags our energy levels down. The more cortisol we have in the body, the more tired, depressed, anxious, etc., we feel. This then causes us to experience all sorts of negative thoughts.
However, here is the reality check, our ‘fight-or-flight’ survival reaction is a trait handed down from our ancestors who once had to go hunting in dark forests where they experienced times of real danger on a day-to-day basis! In modern society, there is NO REAL NEED to constantly be in the ‘fight-or-flight’ survival mode. Especially in the Western world, we have it a lot easier than our ancestors!! The real reason there is an increasingly ‘anxious’ and ‘stressed’ society is literally mind over matter and is self-created from our own thoughts.
To overcome the negative self-talk and overthinking which creates our anxiety and stress, we need to practice meditation in order to dramatically decrease the levels of cortisol and help restore our minds to a quiet, focused, and peaceful one, the only environment for true happiness.
7 Minute Mindfulness Meditation Practice:
One of the excuses that I often hear the most when it comes to starting mindfulness meditation, is TIME. People show interest in starting meditation, but they have such busy schedules that they never end up making the time to practice.
Therefore, I wanted to share a great SHORT programme that has proven perfect for beginner’s!
For only 7 minutes of your time a day (coffee break? In bed before sleep? On the train commute?) you just plug in to one of the audio files of your choice and begin your meditation practice.
What’s more, with the programme there are two additional freebies thrown in to help assist you on your beginner’s mindfulness meditation journey.
Right now, you can get all of the following for a special early bird discounted price!
You will receive;
- 1 x Book Of Mindfulness Exercises
- 1 x Seven Minute Mindfulness Guidebook
- 1 x Mindfulness Audio Programme (containing 9 x 7 minute audio files);
- Track 1: Mind Body Relaxation – Tune your mind into your body, and release the tension in both.
- Track 2: Declutter and Create Space – Declutter your busy mind and create space to bring out your best self.
- Track 3: Turn Anxiety into Love and Joy – Gain mental strength when anxiety takes over your mind.
- Track 4: A Boat Ride of Calm – Follow the story as your mind goes on a relaxing and invigorating journey.
- Track 5: Three Part Breathing – Experience the traditional 3-part Yoga breathing technique that transforms your mind and body.
- Track 6: Rejuvinate Your Mind – Release the tension in your mind and rejuvinate.
- Track 7: A Tranquil Journey – Listen, follow the story, and wake up feeling relaxed and refreshed 7 minutes later!
- Track 8: Find Your Calm – Find your calm place and take whatever you need from 7 minutes of peace.
- Track 9: Delta Sleep Audio – Trigger your natural deep sleep cycle and drift off into a calm and restful sleep.
Early bird discount offer: $17/£12 (Full price: $49/£35) when bought today. I will update the price for you when the deal is no longer available!
Purchase this amazing package deal and start your mindfulness meditation practice right away!
Connect with Vibrant Yogini
Why not practice meditation for 20 minutes every morning for a few weeks and experience the benefits for yourself? I would love to hear how you get on!
Don’t forget to leave your feedback and opinions in the comments below.
Or, alternatively, you can send an email to the following address:
Sign up to Vibrant Yogini and be kept in the loop with future news, blog posts, promotions and more:
Wishing you a positive and calm life,
P.S. “Yoga does not just change the way we see things, it transforms the person who sees” ~ B.K.S. Iyengar